Finances, funding and immigration

There’s no getting away from it, there are few postgraduate researchers who are financially carefree.

Whether you’re self-funding, sponsored by a government, research council, charity or company, or have one of the new Postgraduate Doctoral Loans, there are resources to help you:

  • Manage your money.
  • Understand your responsibilities in terms of payments.
  • Find further sources of funding, including scholarships, awards for travel and conferences, and hardship and charitable funds.

In addition, there are opportunities for paid part-time work within the University and also in the local area.

If you're an international PGR, your immigration and visa status is an important issue, especially if you are considering working while or after you are a student at Manchester. The University has a range of advice and support to help.

PGR Views

Got something to share with other researchers?

Whether it's a blog post, video, podcast or other resource - if it could help other PGRs make the most of their time at Manchester, get in touch.

Email us at

- and get your voice heard.


Any other resources you think should appear here?

Let us know at

Funding opportunities and receiving payments for:
Finding funding for a doctoral research degree (for those currently doing a research degree at Masters level)
Finding further support during your research degree
  • Research professional - funding database
    An amazing source of information about scholarships, travel awards, small grants specifically aimed at "predoctoral" researchers (in addition to its main focus on major research grants for academics and institutions). If you want some funding to go to that conference in Hawaii, get planning!
  • Alternative Guide to Postgraduate Funding Online
    The University subscribes to this online publication giving advice and sources of charitable and other funding to support postgraduates.
  • Cumberland Lodge PhD Scholarships
    2 year scholarships to enable PhDs from any discipline to contribute to and benefit from the work of Cumberland Lodge (an educational charity focused on inter-disciplinary work including conferences to tackle social divisions, based in Windsor Great Park)

Finding part-time paid work

Immigration and visas

  • While you are a student
    Information on visas, what to do if your circumstances change, you lose your passport, you want to travel in the UK or Europe, you want to work during your programme and more.
  • Working in the UK after your studies, including the Doctorate Extension Scheme
    An overview of the different types of UK visa which may be open to you after your complete your PGR degree. Further information for international students wanting to work in the UK is available from the Careers Service. In addition, if you are a doctoral researcher, there is a special programme to potentially enable you to work in the UK for up to a year after your doctoral degree.